25 Hilarious Examples of Parents Saving $

Posted October 12th, 2009 at 11:37 am by

As kids I’m sure you can remember that Halloween was one of the best holidays ever.  Unfortunately, a lot of us had parents who didn’t feel it was necessary to have an awesome store bought costume like the rest of the kids.  Long story short; we’d end up looking an aisle at Ross’s and an aisle at Toys R’ Us got smashed together and somehow shit us out.  Here’s a montage dedicated to parents, their creative costume ideas, and the kids who have to wear them.

If there are any moms reading this listen up:  We know you mean well, and we love you for that, but let your kid get the store bought costume he’s been talking about.

25 Hilarious Examples of Parents Saving A Buck On Halloween Costumes

costumemontage

• meme007
    October 12, 2009

This is too cute! Looks like most of them enjoyed their homemade costumes though! We had homemade ones and had a blast! The store bought ones are cute too, though. Love the pics!

• Catfishman
    October 12, 2009

Most of the kids looked pretty happy, but Patches (the clown with the Ewok and Darth Vader), looks absolutely miserable.

• Comet Arcade
    October 12, 2009

Hahaha, I love the lobster and the costume with the red cape.

• growurl
    October 12, 2009

I think some of them are very creative, not cheap at all

• gedster314
    October 12, 2009

Since when is a home grown costume a bad thing. Some of them are pretty cute.

I have had a few Halloweens where I spent $500+ on making my own foam latex prosthetics.

October 12, 2009

English translation: “Your bitch of a mother”

• Kris
    October 12, 2009

Many of those are pretty cool. Most store bought costumes are crap, though they do let you look “like” popular licensed characters. My mom is a great seamstress, and we almost always had awesome homemade costumes. Best were the fully detailed, stretch-fabric and puff-paint Spider-Man and Venom costumes my brother and I had when were 5 and 8 years old.

• Crooky
    October 12, 2009

Ditto. There’s no way these are cheaper than store bought costumes.

• brie987
    October 13, 2009

Money may not have been used in abundance on many of these costumes but two greater currencies were, 1. Love and 2. Time :) Most adorable !!!!

• Retro
    October 13, 2009

Agree again. Some of those costumes don’t even come close to “saving a buck”.

Older kids that walk around late to grab the last of the halloween candy and do nothing except slap a kerchief over their face – THAT’S saving a buck. Some of the posted pics above are far from inexpensive either in materials or in effort compared to a lot of the crap they sell in stores.

• tammy
    October 13, 2009

I think they are precious. Nothing wrong with home made they don’t look that inexpensive either, a few do look like the parent coulda spent a lil more time on em though.

• copacetic
    October 13, 2009

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of these costumes, at least they looked like they were fun to make and the kids enjoyed themselves! Better than some two-bit Captain America costume bought from the stor

• me
    October 13, 2009

Some of those are actually pretty cool… Love the first robot one.

• me

is that Ron Jeremy in a red cape

• qwert
    October 13, 2009

is that Ron Jeremy in a red cape?

• Peter Voth
    October 13, 2009

When I grew up, most kids had homemade costumes, and they were usually the best ones. Kids with flimsy store bought costumes were looked down upon as having parents that didn’t care enough or have enough time to make an awesome custom costume.

My homemade costume won best costume at school one year. I was Minnie Mouse. I am a boy.

• Andrea
    October 13, 2009

aw… I think they all look so cute!

• Rargo
    October 13, 2009

Each of these costumes is far more exciting and satisfying to wear than a generic store-bought costume. Why show up in an identical spiderman costume to your class-mates when you can be that funky kid with the giant giraffe neck coming out of you? You know the other kids are gonna marvel at that.

Kids should and do appreciate creative things that aren’t stamped out by factories. I loved my home-made robot and pirate costumes when I was a kid!

• rt
    October 13, 2009

these kids suck. why didn’t they go to walmart and buy a real costume like real americans? what a bunch of retards. hahahha

• Buzz
    October 13, 2009

i always laughed at kids that had to wear store-bought costumes. typically the store costumes were just advertisements for the latest cartoon or movie. boring! and why spend money for a cheap costume you’ll have grown out of by next year? this article itself seems an advertisement for a halloween store… oh wait.. the banner at the top IS for a costume supplier. make your own costume and show your friends that you can think better than they can. how clever is it to spend money? be creative, go make your own costume.

• Raja Sen
    October 13, 2009

Cheerio costume is the best!

• Miss Cellania
    October 13, 2009

These are awesome! They’ve gone to a lot of trouble, and some are so clever -like the Pool Shark.

• Fatima
    October 13, 2009

I want that tree costume!!!

• Jean NiBee

Nachoooooooooooooo…………..

• megan
    October 13, 2009

So hilarious! I love the lobster costume and the cheerios box! So cute! Oven and ACDC costumes are so adorable!<3 the snails!!!

• Kendall
    October 13, 2009

Personally, I thought the Flowering Ent costume was fantastic and that kid looked like he knew it.

• JohhnyPop
    October 13, 2009

is that Ron Jeremy in a red cape?

• cynic8819
    October 13, 2009

the red cape one is nacho libre

• Barbara
    October 13, 2009

You say homemade? I say custom! I made all of my kids Halloween costumes. Not to be cheap but because we could be creative and make something just for them. I even made my own and best one yet? A great black velvet cape to wear with a Professor Mcgonagall witch hat; had so many people want one it was hilarious. The best part, it’s just a black cape, not a costume so I get to use it for more than just one night!

• Hollen-B
    October 15, 2009

Cheerios FTW!

• pfft
    October 15, 2009

I remember “store bought” costumes. A vinyl envelope with arm and head holes, with Mr. T’s body printed on it, accompanied by a cheap brown skull cap and a printed-on mohawk.

• Barb
    October 21, 2009

These are awesome–I love the tree one! AC/DC and the peanut are adorable too. I’ve always thought store bought were lame. Everyone I’ve ever known has preferred homemade. Store bought are cheap and lack creativity.

• Halloween Costumes
    October 25, 2009

This is a hilarious post. I love the one with the three home made Star Wars costumes…the Ewok one is friggin hilarious!

• Mr Costumes
    October 26, 2009

Hands down the best Halloween post I’ve seen coming from Digg! That Scooby Doo costume almost made me pee my pants!

• DenzelWk
    November 1, 2009

Hello there, Hey! How are you? Happy late Halowen! :D !

• Hilarious Joker
    November 5, 2009

The more I read it, the more it impresses me. I don’t know how I ever worked without hilarious and funny things in our life, Life would be so much easier especially when there’s a jokes here and there. Being funny is nice because a lot of serious people are lacking with this kind of behavior that is why they are much look older. I would like to thank you for your outstanding blog post. Keep it up! Awesome!

• Traf Rellik
    December 30, 2009

“Patches” reminded me of the “I Like Turtles” Boy, not sure why, but it’s definitely there…

• Halloween Costumes
    February 15, 2010

Oh how funny! I love the pool shark. The lobster in the post is also very funny! Thanks for the post and bring a smile to my face!

• costume
    February 19, 2010

Love the lobster in the pot. Very creative costume idea indeed.

• Costumes
    March 13, 2010

Poor little Cheerios. All of these kids are soo cute! Way to go parents!

• BeeCee
    April 25, 2010

Store-bought costumes are embarrassing for kids to wear and they would never win a prize in any parade or contest. True, some of these costumes are hilarious but many more are cute and creative

• Moxie
    October 27, 2010

I don’t who you hung out with as a kid – but if you’re old enough to write a blog then the costumes you were buying in the store were thin polyester pieces of crap. Even the stuff out there these last few years are the cheapest materials they can get. Give me a hand-made costume every time.

And having made costumes for myself as well as my kids, it is ultimately WAY MORE EXPENSIVE in terms of time and materials, no matter how it turns out. So better you mock them for not meeting your definition of “cool” than trying to pass it off as you thinking the parents are trying to go cheap. Usually it’s just the opposite.

• wpolscemamymocneseo
    January 11, 2011

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can help me get further ahead